Wednesday, January 5, 2011

When is it okay

Here is the deal. Lying. When is it okay? For me this question is big. Now I don't lie all the time...do I? So today I decided to keep track...
#1. Daddy saw you and waved back. (trying to avoid a meltdown)
#2. Mommy do you think your hair looks great? (the girls have every clip and bow in it)
#3. No, I don't have any gum? (Oh how I have a love/hate relationship with gum)
So far that is it. Do we/I lie not to hurt peoples feelings? Is that okay? Should we just come straight out with it and tell people how we think and feel? I really have split feelings about this.
How do you feel?

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I tell it like it is. Truth hurts, dang it, get a thicker hide and move on. Needless to say, I have mostly good friends that understand I won't lie for the sake of their feelings. And that engraves trust. Sometimes a few ill-fated arguments that end in... what... did you want me to let you go out looking like that? Anyway. I do tell an occasional white lie to the kiddo's.

Like when the issue with the Nuke Plant in Japan was blasting all over the news. I grew up at the tail end of the cold war. I lived and breathed and watched the news for 3 mile island and Chernobyl.

When My 12 YO asked if she needed to be scared (I have to be real careful with her because she has Asperbergers and some things are so literal in translation). I said, Yes of Nuclear war but no to the power plant. I explained it like squirting perfume in the bathroom and standing out near the car... you might get a hint of it but not the OMG someone drowned in the bottle... and that was what we were to get on the east coast of the "dark and ominous cloud of crap".

What I avoided was her having years of nightmares of "What If"

BTW I have 1700 plus friends on FB so I am not doing too many things wrong!